Rodrigo Duterte Takes Oath as President of Philippines [ Current Affairs ]
Rodrigo Duterte takes oath as the 16th President of Philippines for six years period. He takes oath to the office by the justice of Supreme Court at the Malacanang presidential palace of Manila, Philippines.
About Rodrigo Duterte:
- Rodrigo Duterte was born on 28 March 1945 in a political family in Maasin, capital city of southern Leyte, Philippines.
- He is lawyer by profession but later he had entered into the politics.
- Starting of his political career was from becoming vice-mayor of Davao in 1986 and mayor in 1988 for seven term or minimum 22 years by which he became longest serving mayor of Philippines.
- Davao City won the ‘Galing Pook award’ for “gender-responsive” governance in 2004.
- He had played important role in reducing crime rates in the Davao City during his role as a mayor by which he was honour with the nickname ‘The Punisher’ by ‘Time’ magazine among the citizens due to his effective zero tolerance policies against criminals.
- He was nicknamed as ‘Dirty Harry’ during the Presidential elections and compared to Donald Trump-the US presidential candidate.
About winning of election of 2016:
- In the 2016 presidential election of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte won by obtaining 39% (15.36 million) of the votes.
- He was followed by Mar Roxas who got 23% (9.27 million) votes and Grace Poe with 22% (8.6 million) votes.
- Published on: July 1, 2016