Sakshi Malik: Brand Ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao Campaign in Haryana [ Current Affairs ]
Wrestler Sakshi Malik become Haryana’s brand ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao (save daughter, educate daughter) campaign which aims to empower the girl child and decrease the rates of female foeticide in all the districts where child sex ratio is low. Haryana has a low gender ratio.
- Recently Sakshi Malik had won bronze medal in wrestling at 2016 Rio Olympics in the 58 kg category and become first women from India to win Olympics medal in wrestling, so by appointing her as brand ambassador will be great motivation for all to inspire them for giving freedom and equal independence to a girl child.
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has announced it after awarding Malik with 2.5 crore rupees and Commendation Certificate.
About Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) campaign
- The main aim of BBBP campaign of Indian Government is to spread awareness about the decreasing Child Sex Ratio in the country and also to create awareness and efficiency of welfare services which are intended for women.
- The main objective behind it is to avoid gender biased sex selective exclusion by strict implementation of laws with stringent punishment to parents.
- The nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme is Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD).
- The scheme was launched with 100 crore rupees on 22nd January 2015.
About Sakshi Malik
- Sakshi Malik was born on 3rd September 1992 in Rohtak, Haryana.
- At age of 12-years she had started her wrestling training under the guidance of Ishwar Dahiya at an akhara in the Chotu Ram stadium.
- Bronze medal at the 2010 Junior World Championships in the 59-kg category
- Gold medal at the 2014 Dave Schultz International Wrestling Tournament (60-kg)
- Silver medal in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow
- Bronze medal in 2015 Senior Asian Wrestling Championships in Doha
- Bronze medal at the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix in 60-kg category
- Bronze in the 58kg category in Rio Olympics 2016
- Published on: August 29, 2016