Sania Mirza, Martina Hingis win 2016 Australian Open title of Tennis [ Current Affairs ]
About Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis: Sania Mirza is a professional world’s no. 1 ranker of Indian tennis player in women’s doubles. She was also ranked as no. 1 tennis player of India from 2003 to 2013 which year she took retirement from singles.
- She also named in “50 heroes of Asia” by Time in October 2005.
- Martina Hingis is a professional world’s no. 1 ranker of Swiss tennis player in women’s doubles.
- She had won 40 singles titles and 36 doubles titles.
- According to, she had been the highest-paid female athlete in the world for five successive years from 1997 to 2001. Forbes
About Winning of 2016 Australian Open title:
- Indian tennis player Sania Mirza and Swiss player Martina Hingis have won the 2016 Australian Open title of tennis in the women’s doubles category.
- It was overall their 12th title winning together by them after they had teamed from 2015.
- It was also their 36th match win together in a row.
- Published on: February 1, 2016