Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis win 2016 WTA Apia International title of Tennis [ Current Affairs ]
About winning of Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis: Ace Indian tennis player Sania Mirza and her Swiss partner Martina Hingis have won the 2016 WTA Apia International title in the women’s doubles category. In the final match played at Sydney, Australia, the top seeded duo defeated French pair Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic by 1–6, 7–5, 10–5 score.
Key facts about winning:
- It was their overall 11th title together from 2015 when they had won 9 titles and second title of season 2016.
- It was also their 30th match win together in a row.
- 11 WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) doubles titles are: Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Wimbledon, US Open, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Beijing and the WTA Finals, Brisbane (2016) and Sydney (2016).
- Their together winning of 30 matches also created world record.
- By this they broke previous record which was held by Gigi Fernandez (Puerto Rico) and Natasha Zvereva (Belarus) who had win 28 straight victories in 1994.
- Women’s Single Title 2016 WTA Apia International title won by Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russia) in the Women’s Singles Category.
- In the final match she defeated Mónica Puig of Puerto Rico by 6–0, 6–2 score.
- Published on: January 18, 2016