Scientists Survey That Ballast Water Bringing Aggressive Species to Indian Coasts [ Current Affairs ]
About Ballast water: Ballast compartment in Ship usually remains below the water level in order to balance the weight above the water level. Ballast water is the water which is carried out in a ship’s ballast tanks which is used to improve constancy, balance and trim of ship.
- It discharges by ships and it can have negative impact on the marine environment and lives.
- It also contains biological materials like plants, animals, viruses and bacteria.
- So, it can damageenvironment and aquatic ecosystems.
- Above 10, 000 non-native marine species are transported across the world in the ballast water.
About survey of scientists about Ballast water:
- Scientists feared that ballast water carried by ships is bringing in exotic aggressive species across the Indian Coast.
- So University of Kerala, Department of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries conducted a survey on it.
- In this survey they found the presence of 10 aggressive species in the biodiversity intertidal environments of the Kerala coast.
- Some of these aggressive species include one species each of seaweed, bryozoan, mollusk and seven species of ascidian.
- Published on: April 4, 2016