Singapore Launched First Self-Driving Taxis of the World [ Current Affairs ]
Singapore becomes world’s first country to launch first ever self-driving taxi service and this is significant step in latest technology demonstration which shows modernize future transport industry.Singapore based an autonomous vehicle software startup nuTonomy has launched this self-driving taxies and with this it became world’s first entity to offer self-driving taxi for the public rides.
- nuTonomy conduct public trial for the self-driving taxi after getting green flag from the Singapore government with six cars at the initial phase.
- It is improved versions of Renault Zoe and Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric car.
- Car has six sets of Lidar (Light Detection and Ranging).
- A car has detection system of lasers which is worked like radar that constantly spins on the roof.
- To identify obstacles and changes in traffic lights by scanning, two cameras are provided on dashboard.
- These cars are run under supervision of a computer engineer along with backup human driver if anything goes wrong in trail phase.
- NuTonomy is a MIT spin-off technology startup company that manufactures software which is used to build self-driving cars and autonomous mobile robots.
- It was founded in 2013 by Karl Lagnemma (current CEO) and Emilion Frazzoli to develop fully autonomous cars by year 2019.
- Its headquarter located at Cambridge Massachusetts.
- Published on: August 30, 2016