Spiritual Head of BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha Pramukhswami is No More [ Current Affairs ]
Spiritual head of BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha, Pramukh Swami, passed away in 13th August 2016.at Sarangpur in Botad district, India. He was a 95 year old. Pramukh Swami was unwell for some time because of old age related problems and was under treatment at Sarangpur temple of the sect.
- He was an inspirer of countless and a great servant of society. His service to the society will always be remembered.
- Pramukh Swami is credited to have overseen construction of over 1,000 temples including some grand one like Akshardham in Gandhinagar and Delhi.
- He also constructed a temple in abroad including England, East Africa, South Africa, USA, Canada and other countries.
- He had initiated over 800 youths to monk-hood during his life time.
- Pramukh Swami is also known for his social concerns, they actively participated in rescue and relief operations during the times of earthquakes, floods and shortages and other natural calamities.
- He travelled both in India and abroad, in the process holding ‘satsang’ and creating a large base of devotees.
- He travelled in over 45 countries like UK, USA, Singapore, Thailand, Canada, Africa, Australia, Kenya, South New Zealand, Malaysia, Dubai, Japan, France, Egypt, Germany, and others.
About Pramukh swami Maharaj:
- Pramukh Swami Maharaj was the spiritual head and president of the BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha.
- Pramukh Swami, born on December 7, 1921 at Chansad village in Vadodara district.
- Shantilal was named by his parents. The youngest of nine siblings, He was selected by Shastriji Maharaj.
- At the age of 18 , he was initiated into Swaminarayan sect under the guidance of Shastriji Maharaj and given a name of Narayanswarupdas.
- Shastriji Maharaj had instructed Pramukh swami’s father, Shantilal be sent to him to lead a religious life.
- He was appointed the President, or Pramukh, of BAPS replacing Shastriji Maharaj in 1950. At that time he was 28 year.
- Published on: August 16, 2016