Super Computer PARAM-ISHAN Inaugurated at IIT Guwahati [ Current Affairs - Science & Technology ]
The super computer PARAM ISHAN the fastest and most powerful computer in North East, Eastern and Southern region of India has been inaugurated by Prakash Javadekar the Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister at IIT Guwahati campus.
- IIT Guwahati and C -DAC (Centre for Development of Advanced Computing) has jointly developed PARAM ISHAN.
- Peak computing power: 250 Teraflops
- Capacity: three hundred tera bites
- It will expand the research initiatives and will create an ecosystem for attracting right talents in the field of research.
- It will also be used to research initiatives such as computational chemistry, computational electromagnetic, computational fluid dynamics, civil engineering structures, nana-block self-assemble, optimization etc.
- It can be also be used for Weather, climate modeling and seismic data processing.
- A is a high-level computational capacity compared to a general-purpose computer supercomputer.
- It has high speed and memory and is usually thousands of times faster than ordinary personal computers.
- Performance of a supercomputer is measured in floating-point operations per second (FLOPS) instead of million instructions per second (MIPS).
- It was founded in 1962 by Atlas at the University of Manchester.
- PARAM is a sequences of supercomputers designed and accumulated by the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing in Pune, India.
- Param means supreme in Sanskrit.
- Series of PARAM:
- PARAM 8000 released in 1991
- PARAM 8600
- PARAM 9900/SS
- PARAM 9900/US
- PARAM 9900/AA
- PARAM 10000
- PARAM Padma released in April 2003
- PARAM Yuva released in November 2008
- PARAM Yuva II released in February 2013
- Published on: September 20, 2016