Syrian Army Recalls Historic City of Palmyra from IS [ Current Affairs ]
The control of the ancient city of Palmyra from Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group has been recovered by the Syrian Army and standard defence forces. The Syrian Army and Russian Aerospace Forces have jointly effort to get freedom of the historic city of Palmyra from the ISIS terror group.
- The ancient city of Palmyra is a UNESCO was selected as World Heritage site and home to some of the world’s most magnificent ancient ruins.
- In May 2015 ISIS had taken complete control of the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra.
- After the appropriation of entire ancient city, they had smashed several ancient ruins.
- The city is located in a strategically important area on the road between Syria’s capital Damascus and the oil rich eastern city of Deir al-Zour.
- Oil and gas twisted from the fields located in Deir al-Zour, Syrian government used to produce electricity for areas under its control in the west of the country.
- ISIS had destroyed several ancient sites which are pre-date Islam in Iraq, including UNESCO World Heritage Sites Hatra and Nimrud previously in March 2015.
- When Palmyra was under Roman rule Ancient city of it dates back to the first and second Century.
- Previously Palmyra was a Silk Road hub and one of the cultural centres of the ancient world.
- The city inhabits mythical status in Syria and it is a home to some of the most beautiful and well-preserved ruins of antiquity, including the Temple of Bel, built in 1st century
- Published on: March 28, 2016