Tamil Ratna Award Honoured to AR Rahman [ Current Affairs ]
The New York based Tamil Sangam has honored Oscar winning music composer AR Rahman with the Tamil Ratna Award after his concert at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) chamber which was organized to honoured M.S. Subbulakshi, the doyen of Carnatic music.
- Previously Bharatha Natyam exponent Kamala Lakshman, Tamil movie director Bharathi Raja and mathematician Srinivasa Varadhan was honored with the Tamil Ratna Award.
About AR Rahman
- Allah-Rakha Rahman (A R. Rahman) is one of the most worldwide popular Indian music icons.
- He was born on 6th January 1967 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- He has started his career in 1987 with Allwyn.
- His is well known for his inter mixing Eastern classical music with electronic music and traditional orchestral arrangements.
- Roja was the first film of him as a music composer in 1992.
Awards and Honors:
- 2 Academy Awards (famously known as Oscars)
- 2 Grammy Awards
- BAFTA Award G
- Golden Globe Award
- 4 National Film Awards
- 15 Film fare Awards
- 13 Film fare Awards South
About M.S. Subbulakshi
- Madurai Shanmukhavadivu Subbulakshmi a Carnatic vocalist was born on 16th September 1916 in Madurai, Madras and she had taken last breath on 11th December 2004.
- She first musician to receive the Bharat Ratna the highest civilian honor of India and first Indian musician to receive the Ramon Magsaysay award the Asia’s Nobel Prize in 1974.
- She had started her career at the age of 13 years with performance at Madras Music Academy in 1929.
- Padma Bhushan
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
- Sangeetha Kalanidhi
- Ramon Magsaysay award (often considered Asia’s Nobel Prize)
- Padma Vibhushan
- Kalidas Samman
- Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration
- Bharat Ratna
- Published on: August 22, 2016