To Mark Tatya Tope Martyrdom Day Union Government Has Released Commemorative Coin [ Current Affairs ]
On memory of the freedom fighter Tatya Tope the Union Government has rented a memorial coin of 200 rupees and a circulation coin of 10 rupees, Dr. Mahesh the Union Culture Minister has launch this coin on the occasion of the Martyrdom Day of Tatya Tope in New Delhi.
- During 2015 - 16 in association with State Government of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh the Union Ministry of Culture has been celebrating the 200th Birth Anniversary of Tatya Tope.
About Tatya Tope
- Ramachandra Panduranga Tope (Tatya Tope) was born in 1814 at Yeola in Nashik District of Maharashtra.
- He was one of the remarkable generals in India’s First War of Independence (1857 - 58) in Revolt of 1857.
- He was most friendly friend of Nana Dhundu Pant (also known as Nana Saheb) of Bithur who was adopted son of Peshwa Baji Rao-II.
- Tatya Tope had dismayed against British after Nana Saheb was destitute of his father’s pension by then Governor General Lord Dalhousie under the Doctrine of Lapse in 1851.
- After the revolt political storm had increased energy he had won over the Indian troops of the East India Company stationed at Kanpur in 1857.
- He was capable to create Nana Saheb’s authority in Kanpur and became the Commander-in-Chief of his revolutionary forces during the revolt.
- He had shifted his headquarters to Kalpi and joined hands with Rani Lakshmi Bai and led a revolt in Bundelkhand after Kanpur was re-occupied by British.
- But he was not able to amalgamate his position and was beaten by General Rose in an unforgettable battle in Gwalior in which Rani Lakshmi Bai suffered martyrdom.
- Then he had introduce a successful paramilitary campaign for over a year in the Sagar and Narmada Khandesh regions and in Rajasthan after losing Gwalior to the British.
- On 7th April, 1859 he was captured by the British Forces and after a hassled trial for conducting war against the East India Company.
- On 18th April 1859 he was hanged to death at Shivpuri, Madhya Pradesh.
- Published on: April 19, 2016