Union Cabinet Approves Import of Pulses Through Long-Term Contract with Mozambique [ Current Affairs ]
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved a long-term contract with Mozambique for import of pulses by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- The aims of MoU promoting the production of Pigeon Peas/Tur and other pulses in Mozambique by increase in the trading of these pulses.
- It aims at doubling the trade from 1 lakh tonnes in 2016 - 17 to 2 lakh tonnes by 2020 - 21.
- It has set target for exports of Tur and other pulses from Mozambique to India for five financial years i. e. till 2020 - 21.
- The MoU will enlarge domestic availability of pulses in India and thereby stabilize its prices.
- The total pulses production in the country during 2015 - 16 is estimated to be 17 million tonnes.
- 5.79 million tonnes of pulses were imported to meet the domestic requirements.
- The total availability of pulses including domestic production and imports were was less than domestic requirements putting pressure on the prices of pulses during the year 2015 - 16 and current year.
- The pulses will be imported from Mozambique either through the Government-to-Government (G2G) or private channels nominated by two countries.
- To improve the shortfall in availability of pulses and supplement the existing efforts
- So, the government has decided to enter into long term G2G arrangement with Mozambique to ensure availability of pulses.
- Published on: July 7, 2016