Union Government Constitutes Technical Group to Observe Zika Virus Situation [ Current Affairs ]
About Zika virus: It is a member of the Flaviviridae virus family and the Flavivirus genus. It is transmitted by daytime-active Aedes mosquitoes, like A. aegypti. This virus spread eastward across the Pacific Ocean to French Polynesia, then toEaster Island in 2014 and in 2015 to Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and South America, where the Zika occurrence has reached pandemic levels.
- It is related to dengue, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis and west Nile viruses.
About Constitution of technical group:
- The Union government has constitutes a Technical Expert Group to deal with Zika virus.
- This decision was taken by high level meeting chaired by Union Health Minister J. P. Nadda in New Delhi.
- The Technical expert group has to submit its report soon to the government, so they can take step to cure it soon.
About prediction of ‘WHO’ about Zika virus:
- World Health Organization has predicted that three to four million people possibly infected with Zika virus in South and North America.
- The occurrence has gone from a minor threat to one of alarming extents.
- Published on: February 1, 2016