Union Government Has Recently Launched ISBN Portal [ Current Affairs ]
The International Standard Book Number (ISBN) portal has been launched by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) in New Delhi. The Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani has launched it as part of Union Government’s ambitious Digital India campaign.
- The ISBN portal aims to allow publishers and authors to register for allotment ISBN online.
- It objectives is to automate completely the process of search for application, their examination and allotment of ISBNs.
- And the portal has developed software which has several sections such as users’ registration, online application submission, ISBN generation.
- It also comprises ISBN generation request from the National Agency to the International Agency at UK.
- This automation process will keep up inventory as well as process the user’s data.
- With this traditional process of registration and allotment of ISBN will move away.
What is International Standard Book Number (ISBN)?
- The ISBN is a 13-digit unique International Publisher’s Identifier number which identifies book publications.
- And this numbers of ISBN are allotted free of cost.
- To provide access to bibliographic data bases used by the book industry and libraries to provide information it will display in barcode format.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy National Agency for ISBN is responsible for ISBN registration In India which is joined to UK based International Agency.
- Published on: April 11, 2016