Union Government Shortlist 13 Cities in 2nd Phase of Smart Cities Mission [ Current Affairs ]
13 cities have been shortlisted by the Union Ministry of Urban Development for the list of second batch of Smart Cities based on scores obtained in Fast Track competition lead for 23 cities from as many States and Union Territories.
- Lucknow in Uttar Prades has topped this competition list and Warangal in Telangana and Dharmashala in Himachal Pradesh has followed it.
- 23 cities had participated in the Fast Track competition from which these 13 were selected.
- Previously in the first Phase 20 cities from 11 states and union territory and total 97 cities had participated form 23 states and union territories.
- In January 2016 these 23 cities were having the highest ranking and had failed to get representation in the first round of competition.
- 13 shortlisted smart cities (Rank wise) are:
- Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh)
- Warangal (Telanagana)
- Dharmashala (Himachal Pradesh)
- Chandigarh (UT of Chandigarh)
- Raipur (Chattisgarh)
- New Town Kolkata (West Bengal)
- Bhagalpur (Bihar)
- Panaji (Goa)
- Port Blair (UT of Andaman & Nicobar Islands)
- Imphal (Manipur)
- Ranchi (Jharkhand)
- Agartala (Tripura)
- Faridabad (Haryana)
About Smart City:
- A smart city is highly developed urban region in development of overall infrastructure, communications, sustainable real estate and market viability.
- It uses information and communication technologies (ICT) to improve quality, performance and interactivity of urban services, to reduce the costs and resource ingesting and to improve contact between citizens and government.
- Published on: May 25, 2016