Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan a Veteran Singer is No More [ Current Affairs ]
Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan a Veteran singer has passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal due to old-age related ailments at the age of 107 years. He was a most commended Hindustani classical singer of Gwalior Gharana.
- He had created around 2, 000 compositions and also a prolific writer and poet.
- He was popular as Rasan Piya.
About Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan
- He was born on 19th August 1908 at Uttar Pradesh in a family of musicians.
- He was a 16th generation child of Tansen, a well-known classical music composer in the court of the Mughal Emperor Akbar.
- He had received his initial training from His father Chhote Yusuf Khan and uncle Bade Yusuf Khan had given him initial level training.
- Reputed broadcasters and institutes like Uttar Pradesh Sangeet Natak Akademi, BBC and Iraq Radio etc. has recorded his traditional compositions until his death.
- He was one of the oldest performing musicians of India.
- He was a resident Guru at ITC Sangeet Research Academy in Kolkata.
Awards and Honours:
- ITC award in 1994
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 2009
- Kashi Swar Ganga Award in 2003
- Ras Sagar (title) Award in 2004
- Bhuwalka Award in 2010
- Padma Bhushan in 2013 he was the oldest person ever to be conferred a Padma award.
- Lifetime achievement award in 2013 by Government of NCT of Delhi.
- Published on: February 23, 2016