Worlds Lengthiest and Deepest Gotthard Base Rail Tunnel Inaugurated in Switzerland [ Current Affairs ]
Gotthard Base Tunnel the worlds lengthiest and deepest railway tunnel was inaugurated in Switzerland and full service of twin-bore tunnel will available from December 2016. It is 57-kilometer long in length and links northern and southern Europe and also has reduced travel time for many rail routes.
- Before these 53.9 kilometers Seikan tunnel of Japan was the longest rail tunnel in the world.
- Through the Alps Mountain this twin-bore Gotthard Base Tunnel is the first flat low-level route and is located 2.3 km deep under the Alps.
- 2, 400 workers have built it in 17 years time duration at a construction cost of over 12 billion dollars under the AlpTransit project which is also recognized as New Railway Link through the Alps (NRLA).
- The project contains two single-track tunnels linking Erstfeld (Uri) with Bodio (Ticino) and passing below Sedrun (Graubunden).
- After the AlpTransit project was accepted with 64 % of Swiss voters in a 1992 the construction of the tunnel was began in 1996.
- In October 2010 the drilling operations in the eastern tunnel were completed.
- Published on: June 3, 2016