Yasmin Sooka Indian-Origin Lawyer Chair UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan [ Current Affairs ]
Yasmin Sooka a South African Indian-origin lawyer has been selected to chairman of three member UN commission (committee) to monitor the human rights situation in South Sudan. The committee was founded by the United Nations Human Right Council (UNHRC) determination 31/20 which was approved by consensus, the 47-member body.
- Other two members of the committee are
- Kenneth R. Scott (US)
- Godfrey M. Musila (Kenya)
- The main task of the committee is to monitor human rights defilements in South Sudan and make approvals for the process of transitional justice, healing and reconciliation.
- The Commissioners will assist in their personal capacities and shall offer guidance to the South Sudan Government on transitional justice, responsibility and reconciliation issues.
- It will also involve with regional and worldwide mechanisms to encourage responsibility for human rights destructions and abuses.
- The committee will have tenancy of one year and shall current a comprehensive written explosion to the UNHRC at its 34th regular session in March 2017.
About Yasmin Sooka
- She has vast involvement in global human rights matters.
- In South Africa currently she is allocation as the Executive Director of the Foundation for Human Rights (FHR).
- She was also an important anti-apartheid activist and had attended on the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) recognized by former President Nelson Mandela.
- From 2002 - 2004 She also had attended the UN’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Sierra Leone.
- She also had recommended the UN Secretary General on answerability for war crimes dedicated during the final phases of the war in Sri Lanka
- The UNHRC had established Commission following calls for examination into supposed atrocities committed by the government and rebel forces before a self-governing South Sudan was imprinted out of the larger Sudan in 2011 over the issue of civilization.
- Published on: June 28, 2016