IAS Mains 2015 Geography Question Paper 1 [ IAS Updates ]
IAS Mains Paper 1 for Geography held in December 2015. These questions will provide candidates preparing for 2016 a format and idea as to how to prepare and succeed in UPSC Mains examination. Indeed, there is no shortcut to consistency and practice. Good writing skills will lead you a way in IAS Mains Geography optional. Link to help in preparation for good writing skills
Q1. Answer the following in about 150 words each:
- Attempt a classification of geomorphic process from zonal point of view.
- Discuss as to how frontogenesis contribute to weather instability.
- Describe the characteristics of different types of pelagic deposits. Refer answer at Ocean Deposits - Learning with 3 Classifications & Mnemonics - Youtube Examrace Channel
- Explain the characteristics of ecological succession
- Comment on the impact of environmental education on quality of life it
Q2: 20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Discuss the continuations of the American School of Denudation in geomorphology.
- What is Potential Evapotranspiration? Explain how it is used in assessing the water balance in an area
- Discuss the method of conserving biodiversity for sustainable development
Q3: 20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Discuss the basis of Koppen’s climatic classification. Bring out the silent characteristics of “Cs” type of climate
- Explain with example, as to how channel dynamic has been responsible for the development of alluvial fans and cones.
- Classify soils based on their zonal distribution and describe the characteristics of pedocals. - Refer answer at Soil Types and Methods of Formation - Youtube Examrace Channel
Q4: 20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Explain the different stages of ecological adaptation of man and bring out the changing balance between man and development.
- Present -day landforms bear more complexity than simplicity. Elucidate.
- Explain the meridional circulation of the atmosphere and its importance in world climate.
Q5: Answer the following in about 150 words each: 10×5 = 50
- “The welfare face of geography makes it an inter-disciplinary subject. Elaborate. Refer answer at Welfare Approach - Human Geography Perspective - Youtube Examrace Channel
- “Energy mix is a step towards sustainability. ” Discuss.
- Discuss Nelson’s method of functional classification of towns.
- “Marx’s view on population is more humanistic. ’ Comment. Refer answer at Humanistic Approach - Human Geography Perspective - Youtube Examrace Channel
- Development planning has a component of environmental cost. Discuss.
Q6.20 + 15 + 15 marks
- “Regional synthesis is the crux of geographical studies. ” Elaborate.
- Man-induced famines are becoming more common than nature-induced ones. ” Comment.
- Critically examine the theories on population migration. Refer answer at Theories of Migration - Youtube Examrace Channel
Q7.20 + 15 + 15 marks
- Discuss the relevance of Von Thunen’s model on agricultural on location in the contemporary context. Refer answer at Von Thunen Model - Youtube Examrace Channel
- “Cultural regions are the most suited units to study the diversity of area ” Comment. Refer answer at Culture and its Concepts - Youtube Examrace Channel
- Discuss the approaches to the study of behavioural geography. Refer answer at Behavioral Approach - Youtube Examrace Channel
Q8.20 + 15 + 15 marks
- “There is a rejuvenation of environmentalism as a paradigm in geographical studies Comment.
- “Geographical traits lead to regional imbalances” Examine.
- Vital statistics are necessary ingredients for development planning Elaborate.
- Published on: December 24, 2015
Discussions & Questions
- Please provide answers of civil service mains 2015 geography paper 1 & paper2
- asked by ke...@ onWe will be uplaoding answers at - https://www.doorsteptutor.com/Exams/IAS/Mains/Optional/Geography/ and also will cover video lectures which will be available at - https://www.youtube.com/c/Examrace
- answered by Examrace on