SAUNI Yojana for Diverting waters from Flooded Narmada [ Detailed Analysis ]
In September 2012, as the chief minister of Gujarat Narendra Modi launched a yojana, SAUNI- Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation through which he promised to fill up 115 dams of drought prone Saurashtra with excess flood waters of Narmada in South Gujarat. The main mission is to lay a pipeline network covering 1,126km in five years.
A foundation stone was laid by Narendra Modi in February 2014 as the Prime Minister of India. On 30 August 2016, at Dhrol near Jamnagar the first phase of SAUNI was inaugurated by the prime minister of India.
Reason behind SAUNI Initiative
Beyond the statistics and plans, the reality of Saurashtra is seen. Its history states that it never had a perennial river. Every third year Saurashtra faced drought. Thousands of people migrated because of severe shortage of drinking and irrigation resources.
Agriculture remains a struggle for Saurashtra’s farmers as rain deficiency ruins lives. SAUNI will definitely provide some benefits but Saurashtra cannot depend totally on Narmada.
The Four Pipeline Links
Costing of Pipelines
This 12000 crore project is considered as an ambitious project for Narendra Modi who launched this project as the chief minister of Gujarat and continued the project as the Prime Minister of India. On 30th August 2016 Modi inaugurated the linking of 10 dams of Jamnagar, Rajkot and Morbi Districts covering an area of 57.67km network of pipelines. In this phase Rds. 1561 crore has been spent. The state government has awarded Rs 6761 crore for laying pipelines for another patch of network covering 230 km and the work in going on.
Features of SAUNI Yojana
- Agriculture and irrigation will comparatively enhance as efficient supply of water will be provided.
- Dairy and poultry will increase too.
- Every house will be provided with sufficient water to use and drink
- Definite increase in subsidy will be seen.
- As dams will be made, hydro electrical energy will come into use.
- Natural balance will be maintained.
- Water crisis will not be seen as such.
- Due to efficient water, groundwater will be recharged.
- Published on: August 31, 2016