Candidates who got selected are sent for the foundation training at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration at Mussourie. Followed by Forest Service-specific orientation at the Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy at Dehradun, with training on forest and wildlife management, soil conservation, surveying, Scheduled Tribes, and handling weapons.
After the successful completion of academies, candidates go through a year of on-the-job field training in the state to which he or she is assigned.
Probationary period is of 4 years. After completion of this, officers are appointed to the Senior Time Scale and are nominated to be posted as the Deputy Conservators of Forests or Divisional Forest Officers in charge of districts or forest divisions.
Ranks of the Forest Service are quoted below:
- Assistant Conservator of Forests
- Deputy Conservator of Forests
- Conservator of Forests (CFs)
- Chief Conservator of Forests
- Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forests
- Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (PCCFs)
- Director General of Forests-highest post, selected from amongst the senior-most PCCFs of states.