History Syllabus for Chattisgarh Group-I Services
The History Syllabus for Chhattisgarh State Civil Services Preliminary Exam-2011 is given below. The examination will be held on 6 May 2012 (Sunday) by the Chhattisgarh Public Service Commission. Acquaint yourself with the break-up of History syllabus into various sections.
- Sources and approaches to the study of Ancient Indian History.
- Early pastorial and agricultural communities with reference to mesolithic and neolithic periods.
- Harappan Civilization-origin, the Mature phase, extent, society, economy and culture, major thoughts regarding decline, post-Harappan cultures.
- Vedic Civilization-Vedic literature, changes in religion, social system, polity and economy from the Rigvedic to Later Vedic period, Upanishadic thoughts.
- Jainism, Buddhism and other sects, second phase of urbanization, political condition of northern India in 6th Century B. C. rise of Magadh empire.
- The Mauryan Age-expansion of empire, Ashokan edicts and his Dhamma, socio-economic conditions and cultural development.
- Northern and Penisular India during Post-Mauryan period-Indo-Greek, Saka, Parthian, Kushana, Sunga and Satawahana dynasties, society, economy and culture, Sangam culture.
- The Vakataka-Gupta Age-important rulers, administrative system, socio-economic conditions, development of literature, Science and art.
- Post-Gupta period-Chalukaya, Pallava, Vardhan. Pala, Rashtrakuta and chola dynasties, development of feudal system.
- Origin of Rajputs, principal Rajput dynasties, social stratification, temple architecture and economy.
- Sources of Medieval Indian History.
- Arab invasion on sind, invasions of Mahmud Ghazni and Muhammad Ghori on northern India and their effects.
- Delhi Sultanate-establishment of Sultanate under Qutubuddin Aibak, Iltutamish and Balban, the Khalji imperialism and administrative system, polices and administrative principles of Muhammad bin Tughlaq and Ferozeshah, Sayyid and Lodi dynasties.
- Economy and culture during the Sultanate period-agriculture, trade and commerce, the Bhakti Movement, Sufism, architecture, art and social system.
- Vijaynagar and Bahamani empires-polity and culture.
- Babar, Humayun and Shershah-Victories of Babar, Humayun's failures, second Afghan empire under Shershah, Shershas's administrative and land revenues reforms.
- Akbar-establishment of Mughal Empire, concept of monarchy, administrative and land revenue systems, religious and Rajput policies.
- Age of Jahangir and Shahjahan.
- Arungazeb-climax of Mughal Empire, religious policy, Deccan policy, major revolts and disintegration of empire.
- Rise of the Marathas-Shivaji, expansion of kingdom, administration and land revenue system.
- Mughal administration, Social, economic and cultural conditions during mughal period.
- Decline of Mughal empire-Later Mughals, rise of Maratha power under the Peshwas, Provincial kingdoms with special reference to Bengal, Awadh and the Nizam.
- Establishment of British rule in India-Anglo French struggle, British relations with Mysore and the Marathas.
- Expansion of British empire from 1798 to 1856-policies of Lord Wellesley, Lord Hastings, Lord William Bentinck and Lord Dalhousie, consolidation of empire.
- The Upheaval of 1857-causes, nature and effects.
- India under British crown-Queen Victoria's proclamation, administrative and fiscal decentralization, Ripon's Liboralism and curzon's imperialism.
- Social and Religious Movements-the Brahmo Samaj, the Parathana Samaj, the Arya Samaj, Aligarh Movement, Ramakrishna Mission and the Theosophical Society.
- Colonial Economy-Taxation, Drain of wealth, land revenue settlements, decay of handicraft industries, transport and communications, development of modern industries, commercialization of agriculture and rural indebtedness.
- Rise and Development of Indian Nationalism-establishment of Indian National Congress, Moderates and extremists in the Congress, the Swadeshi Movement, revolutionary movements and Home Rule Movement.
- Freedom Struggle-Non-Co-operation movement, Civil Disobedience movement, Individual satyagraha, Quit India movement and Indian National Army.
- Towards Independence-the Simla Pact, the Interim Govt. the Mountabatten Plan, Partition of India and transfer of power, integration of Indian States.
- Constitutional Development of India. Act of 1858, 1861, 1892, 1909, 1919 and 1935, formation of Indian constitution and salient features of the constitution.
History of Modern World.
- Industrial Revolution-Revolution in England, industrialization in USA, Germany, France and Japan, rise of capitalism and imperialism, Socialism and working class movements.
- War of American Independence-causes, events and results.
- French Revolution-causes, contribution of the philosophers, National Assembly, National Convention, Girondists and Jacobins, Reign of Terror, impact of revolution.
- Age of Napoleon-rise of Napoleon internal reforms and foreign policy as first Consul, continental System. Peninsular War, Russian campaign and downfall.
- Age of Reaction-The Congress of Vienna, the Concert of Europe, July Revolution of 1830, Revolution of 1848 and fall of Metternich.
- Unification of Italy-rise of nationalism, establishment of Carbonari, Mazzini, Cavour and Garibaldi, acquisition of Venetia (1866) and Rome (1870).
- Unification of Germany-establishment of Zollverein, rise of Bismarck, problem of Schleswig-Holstein and war with Denmark (1864), Astro-Prussian War (1866) and Franco-Prussian War (1870).
- Emergence of Japan as a Power-Meiji Restoration, Industrialization and Westernization, Sino-Japanese War (1891 − 95) and Russo-Japanese War (1901 − 05).
- Liberalism in Great Britain-Parliamentary reforms, Chartist Movement, economic, educational and industrial reforms.
- American Civil war-causes, election of Abraham Lincoln as President, separation of southern states, civil war, end of slave system, consequences.
- The Eastern Question-Greek War of Independence, the Crimean War, Congress of Berlin, the Young Turk Movement and Balkan wars.
- European interests in China-the opium wars, extra-territorial rights, Tai-ping Rebellion, Boxer Uprising, the Revolution of 1911.
- First World War-causes, events and consequences.
- Paris Peace Conference and the League of Nations-the Big Four, the Paris Peace Treaties achievements and failures of the League of Nations.
- The Russian Revolution of 1917-causes, events and impact.
- Rise of Totalitarian regimes in Italy, Germany and Japan-Mussolini, Hitler, Militarism in Japan.
- Nationalism in Indonesia and Indo-china-rise of nationalism in Indonesia, various political organizations and their activities, Ho-chi Minh and nationalism in Indo-China.
- Communism in China-Chiang Kai-Shek and Chinese Nationalism, Communist Revolution of 1949 under Mao Tse Tung and its impact.
- Arab Nationalism-Mandatory System in the Middle East, nationalism in Egypt, Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon and the Palestinian Problem.
- Second World War-causes, events and results.