Competitive Exams: Indian Geography Nuclear Power
Rajasthan (This state being deficient in both coal and waterhead, Nuclear energy contributes around 54% of its total commercial energy)
Nuclear Power: Atomic energy Institute was established at Trombay in 1954.
It was renamed as the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in 1967. At present production of nuclear energy is facilitated by ten units located at six centres:
- Tarapur (Maharashtra)
- Rawatbhata (Rajasthan)
- Kalpakkam (TN)
- Narora (UP)
- Kakrapara (Gujarat)
- Kaiga (Karnataka)
- Nuclear Power Plant-Year of Completion-Capacity (M. W.)
- Tarapur-1969 − 320
- Ranapratap Sagar in Kota-1972, 1980 − 440
- Kalpakkam nearChemul-1984, 1986 − 470
- Narora near Bulandshahar-1989, 1991 − 440
- Kakrapara in Gujarat-1992 − 220.