About AP US Government & Politics Exam
The exam is of approximately two hours and 25 minutes and contain two sections-multiple choice and free response. Each section in the exam comprises of 50% of the final exam grade.
Section I: Multiple Choice-60 questions; 45 minutes
Following range of topics will be covered in the MCQ section:
- Constitutional Underpinnings of U. S Government (5 − 15%)
- Political Beliefs and Behaviors (10%-20%)
- Political Parties, Interest Groups, and Mass Media (10%-20%)
- Institutions of National Government: i.e.The Congress, the Presidency, the Bureaucracy, and the Federal Courts (35%-45%)
- Public Policy (5%-15%)
- Civil Rights and Liberties (5%-15%)
The total scores of the MCQ section will be based on the number of correct answers. Points are neither deducted for the incorrect answers nor points are awarded for the unanswered questions.
Section II: Free Response-4 questions; 1 hour and 40 minutes
- The questions of the following section will require you to club and enhance your knowledge from various content areas. Discussion of various examples and evaluation of general principles of U. S. Government and politics, and/or analyse U. S. Political events.
- Each and every essay will throw a light on your abilities to organize a coherent answer about the specific question; interpretation and analysis of tables, charts, and/or graphs, and to find logical and definite conclusions from the relevant data in relation to general political concepts or relationships.