CAT Model Paper 5 Questions and Answers with Explanation Part 3

Get unlimited access to the best preparation resource for CAT : get questions, notes, tests, video lectures and more- for all subjects of CAT.

Directions for questions 13 to 15:

Haryana Institute of Management (HIM) is a reputed management institute in North India. It offers a year MBA program to its students. Each year the total numbers of 2nd Year students are split equally into four sections, viz A, B, C and D. The following table gives the number of students who are in their 2nd year of studies across various years

Q_13_to_15_Table of No. Of Students in the 2nd Year
YearNo. Of students in the 2nd year (Batch size)
2007 - 08240
2008 - 09300
2009 - 10360
2010 - 11400

Only 2nd year students are eligible to attend job placements and each eligible student who attends placements is placed in exactly one company in one of the six sectors viz. Finance, Marketing, Operations, HR, Consulting and Others. The following pie-charts give details about the students placed in each sector as a percentage of the total number of students placed in the years .

Q_13-To-15_Pie-Charts Give Details About the Students Placed

v

Q: 13. In of the students of section A were ineligible to attend placements. If all the remaining students of section A attended placements, then what is the minimum number of students of class A who were placed in a sector apart from Consulting? It is also known that of the entire batch did not attend placements, including the students of section A ineligible for placements.

(A)

(B)

(C)

(D)

Ans: B

Solution:

Size of the

16.67 % of the batch did not attend placements. The remaining 83.33 % attended placements and each one of them is placed in one of the six sectors.

Hence, number of students from the batch placed

Of the students placed, number of students placed in consulting

To minimize the number of students of section A placed in a sector apart from consulting, we maximize the number of students of class A who are placed in consulting.

Number of students from section

Number of students from section A who were placed

(since are ineligible to attend placements and the remaining students attended placements)

Of the students of section A who are placed, a maximum of people can be placed in consulting. Hence, the remaining students should have been placed in a sector apart from consulting.

Q: 14. The entire batch of 2010 - 11 attended placements. Moreover, one-fourth of the batch of was female. One-third of those who were placed in the marketing sector were male. Three-fourths of those who were placed in the operations sector were male. What is the minimum number of males of the 2010 - 11 batch who could have been placed in the finance sector?

(A)

(B)

(C)

(D)

Ans: C

Solution

The correct choice is (C) . 100 students of the 2010 - 11 batch was female.

Q_14_Table of 100 Students of the 2010 - 11 Batch Was Female
SectorNO. Of student placed

in each sector

No. Of malesNo. Of females
Finance
Marketing
Operations
HR
Consulting
Others
Total

To minimize the number of male students placed in the finance sector, we maximize the number of female students placed in the finance sector. Since females have already been placed in other sectors (40 in marketing and 13 in operations) , a maximum of 7 females can be placed in the finance sector. Hence, the remaining people 80 – 70 = 73should be males.

Q: 15. The number of students who attended placements as a percentage of the total number of students in the year , respectively. In each of the four years, apart from , the ratio of the number of students who did not attend placements in classes A, B, C and D was . In all the four years put together, find the maximum possible number of students from class C who could have been placed in the Marketing sector?

(A)

(B)

(C)

(D)

Ans: A

Solution:

Q_15_Table of Find the Maximum Possible Number of Students from Class C
YearBatch size% of students placedNo of students placesNo. Of students who did not attend placementsNo. Of students in class CNo. Of students from class C who were placed
TotalClass C
2007 - 0824083.33 %200406044
2008 - 09300100 %30007575
2009 - 1036083.33 %300609066
2010 - 1140075 %30010010060
Q_15_1_Table of Find the Maximum Possible Number of Students from Class C
YearNo. Of students PlacedNo. Of students placed in Marketing sector
2007 - 08200
2008 - 09300
2009 - 10300
2010 - 11300

In , all the of class C can be placed in marketing sector

In , a maximum of students of class C can be placed in marketing sector

In , all the students of class C can be placed in marketing sector

In , all the students of class C can be placed in marketing sector

Hence, total number of students