DELNET: AIMS and goals
DELNET was started at the India International Centre Library in January 1988 and was registered as a society in 1992. Earlier it was supported by the National Information System for Science and Technology (NISSAT), Department of Scientific and Industrial Reseach, Government of India. It was subsequently supported by the National Informatics Centre, Department of Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India and The Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
DELNET has been established with the supreme goal of promoting resource sharing among the libraries through a huge network of libraries. It aims to collect, store, and disseminate information along with providing computerised services to its users, to integrate efforts for suitable collection and also to lower down the unwanted duplication, wherever required.
Main Objectives of DELNET Are Stated Below
- To enhance the interaction of resources among the libraries by cultivating a huge network of libraries, by collecting, storing and dis-seminating information and providing computerised services to the users.
- To undertake scientific research in the field of Information Science and Technology, create and form new systems in the field, apply the results of research and publish them.
- To provide technical knowledge and know-how to the member-libraries on assimilating, storing, sharing and dis-seminating information.
- To integrate efforts for desirable collection and to lower down unwanted duplication, wherever required.
- To establish referral, research centres and sustain a central online union catalogue of books, serials and non-book materials of all the participating libraries.
- To facilitate and promote delivery of documents manually or mechanically.
- To facilitate specific bibliographic database of books, serials and non-book materials.
- To facilitate database of projects, specialists and institutions.
- To promote and sustain electronic and mechanical equipments for quick communication of information and delivery of electronic mail.
- To co-ordinate with the other regional, national and international networks and libraries for information and essential documents.