CBSE (UGC) NET June-December 2017 Syllabus for Defence and Strategic Studies
CBSE (UGC) NET Defence Strategic Studies Syllabus 2012
Code No. 11
Subject: Defence and Strategic Studies
- Theories and Concepts
- Defence and Strategic Studies: Assumptions and Approaches.
- The Concepts of Nation:
- State and Nation-State
- Theories and Elements of State
- National Power and its Components
- Key Concepts of Security:
- National Security
- Regional Security
- Comprehensive Security
- Common Security
- Equal Security
- National Security Objectives: Core Values, National Interests.
- Challenges to Security: Individual, Sub-National; National, Regional and International Levels.
- Non-Alignment, Balance of Power, Collective Security and Balance of Terror-Concept, Development and Relevance.
- Concepts of Geopolitics and Geo-Strategy: Theories of Halford Mackinder and Carl Haushofer.
- Defence and Security Policies: Concept, Formulation, Objectives and Linkages.
- National Security Organizations in India:
- Higher Defence Structure in India
- National Security Council
- Para-Military and Civil Defence
- Civil-Military Relations
- Deterrence and Detente: Concept, Theories of nuclear deterrence and their current relevance.
- Contribution to Strategic thought by Kautilya, Mao, Jomini, Clausewitz, Douhet and Alfred Mahan.
- Problems of Peace & Security
- Theories and causes of War.
- Principles of War.
- Contemporary Warfare: Conventional Warfare in Nuclear age, Limited War, Revolutionary Warfare, Low Intensity Operations, Guerilla Warfare, Insurgency and Counter-Insurgency.
- Armaments: Arms Race, Arms Aid, Arms Trade, Anns Proliferation.
- Military Alliances and Pacts, Peace Treaties, Defence Cooperation, Strategic Partnership and Security Dialogue.
- Problem of System of Governance and Human Rights.
- Terrorism: Concept and kinds (National, International and Cross border).
- Conflicting Ideologies: Militarism, Nationalism, Fundamentalism, Separatism, Irredentism.
- Nuclear Proliferation & NPT, CTBT, MTCR, NMD.
- Industrial Military Complex.
- Global Security Issues
- End of cold war and emergence of new world order.
- Military, Nuclear and missile capabilities of China, Pakistan and India.
- Re-Structuring of UNO.
- Environmental Issues: Global Warming, Desertification, Acid Rains, Industrial Pollution, Deforestation.
- Military Geography & Defence Problems: Nature of boundaries, Terrain
- Sino-Indian and Indo-Pak border disputes and India's Continental Strategy with her neighbours.
- Sri Lankan Ethnic Conflict.
- Domestic unrest in Afghanistan.
- West-Asian Crisis.
- Developments in Central Asian Republics.
- Ethnic issues in Yugoslavia.
- Crisis in Chechenia.
- Organized Crimes: Money Laundering, Narco-trafficking.
- Militarisation of Indian Ocean and India's national, maritime and security interests in the Indian Ocean region. India's Maritime Strategy for the 21st Century.
- Issues of Logistics: Resources, Supply chain, Transportation and Communication.
- Problems of Refugees:
- Causes of Migration.
- Population in border areas and border security.
- Issues in Conflict Resolution
- Origin, Type and Structure of Conflict at inter-state level.
- Images, belief systems and International conflicts.
- Techniques of Conflict Prevention
- Conflict Management: Pacific Solution of International Disputes, Coercive methods and war as an instrument.
- International Humanitarian Laws and Laws of Armed Conflicts.
- Confidence Building Measures: Concept, kinds and utility.
- IGOs & NGOs in Conflict Resolution: Peace Making, Peace Keeping and Peace Building.
- Techniques of Preservation of Peace: Collective Security System, Pacific Settlement, Enforcement Action. Regional Security Arrangements. Disarmament.
- Economic, Science & Technology Issues and National Security
- Broad Survey of Technological Changes from Industrial Revolution to Inform Action Revolution.
- Economic Theories of Defence.
- Basics of Defence Planning, Determinants of Defence Expenditure and Defence Budgeting.
- National Security and International Trade regimes (WTO, TRIPS, TRIMS, NAFTA, SAPTA).
- India's Nuclear and Space Power Programs, India's Energy Scenario.
- Research and Development:
- Relevance of Science and Technology in National Security.
- Impact of Information Technology; Revolution in Military Affairs (RMA).
- Choice of Weapon Systems.
- Impact of Economic Liberalization and Alobalization:
- Defence Production in India (Role of DPSU's and Ordnance factories).
- Defence and Development and Peace and Development Dichotomies.
- Issues of Mobilization of Resources during War and Peace.
- Transfer of Technology: Dual use and critical technologies and their impact on national security.