PMMMNMTT – Components in Detail [ Detailed Analysis (CA/GS) - Education ]
Schools of Education:- The Schools of Education will form the main backbone for integrated teacher development across all sectors.The Schools of Education set up in the 30 select institutions will offer some of the suggested academic programs to offer via a set of separate but integrated centres.
- All levels of education ranging from elementary to higher education, including technical education.
- To develop Schools of Education within Central Universities as the core pace-setting institutions to spear head the professional development of teachers and teacher educators.
- To conduct various academic programs to meet the teaching requirements of elementary, secondary and higher education
- To develop as model institutions for teacher education with state of art facilities and human resource expertise.
Conditions of Eligibility / Implementation Design
- All Central Universities to set up Schools of Education.
- Should have adequate library, hostel, laboratory, ICT facilities for meeting the academic requirements of teacher education programs.
- Should have been accredited by NAAC and must have not less than an ‘A’ Grade.
- The college must be multi-faculty (at least two or more faculties such as Arts, Commerce, Science, Engineering, Law etc)
- Adherence to merit-based admission of students.
Centres of Excellence in Science and Mathematics Education
- The present system focuses only on increasing the quantum of teachers. It does not focus on the pool of excellent teachers.
- The Centres of Excellence will help the schools and colleges to improve their standards of science and mathematics education in a highly competitive situation and may enable the nation to emerge as a global leader in education.
- To develop high quality science and mathematics teachers who are able to develop themselves as role models as teachers and teacher educators in science and mathematics in the competitive educational system and the diversified knowledge requirements of the contemporary society.
- To hand hold the scientific teaching community in facilitating teaching and research for subject specific growth
- To help teachers in capacity building for curriculum designing and scientific assessment and evaluation.
- To excel in science and mathematics education in schools and colleges
- To develop innovative program in science and mathematics
Teaching Learning Centres
- The present system focuses only on the domain (subject) knowledge of the teachers.
- This will make the educational program more meaningful and socially relevant. Proposed TLCs assume importance in the context of learner centred approaches, ICT integrated learning and recent researches in new pedagogic approaches to teaching and learning in higher education.
- To develop effective and efficient teachers who are responsive to the needs of the learners in both local and global contexts, in the competitive educational system and the diversified knowledge requirements of the contemporary society.
- To hand hold the teaching community in facilitating research for subject specific growth.
- To help faculty in capacity building for curriculum designing and scientific assessment and evaluation.
- To develop discipline-specific curricular framework and evaluation methods for incorporation into workshops and short-term professional development programs of
- To develop learning materials, including textbooks and handbooks and to organize their translation into regional languages
- TLC should conduct a short run to medium run (3 weeks) and long run (3-6 months) rigorous pre-induction programs for the new-entrants.
Faculty Development Centres
- Faculty development is an essential element of Institutional effectiveness.
- Faculty who engage in professional development experiences benefit also in terms of increased vitality, better informed in terms of development taking in various spheres of education and allied fields, innovations and scholarly learning.
- Faculty development has a critical role to play in promoting academic excellence and innovation.
- To inculcate among teachers the motivations to promote institutional effectives through the development of personal, instructional, organizational and professional growth of faculty
- To promote organizational strategies for faculty development so as to incentivise teachers to grow professionally and enable the institutions to grow.
- Developing all round skills are a prominent aspect for faculty development.
Objectives and Programs
It is felt that opportunities to all the faculty members should be provided in attending:
a.Training Programs (national and international)
b. Seminars/Conferences (national and international)
c. Internship Programs (national and international)
d. Summer Schools (national and international)
e. Exchange programs (national and international)
Inter-University Centre for Teachers Education (IUCTE)
The UGC establishes autonomous Inter-University Centres within the university system under Clause 12(ccc) of the UGC Act.
- To provide common advanced centralized facilities/services for universities which are not able to invest heavily in infrastructure and other inputs.
- To play a vital role in offering the best expertise in each field to teachers and researchers across the country.
- The vision of these Centres will be to provide a separate yet integrated focus on elementary and secondary levels of school education and co-ordinate the Schools of Education established under the National Mission of Teachers and Teaching.
- IUCTE’s will coordinate between the Schools of Education set up in Central Universities to provide a collaborative platform for the teaching community so as to promote their research interests and develop their inter-disciplinary perspectives.
- To bring about convergence among the various activities carried out by the different Centres located within the Schools of Education in Central Universities.
- To promote national and international cooperation in teachers’ education.
- To publish advanced research studies relating to teachers’ education for purposes of advancement of capacities to teach and learn among professional teachers.
Conditions for Eligibility
- Any National level institution of repute specializing in teacher education can apply.
- In case, individual institutions do not qualify, a hub and spoke model with a lead institution and supporting nodes can also be considered.
Innovations, Awards and Teaching Resource Grant, including workshops and seminars
- Teachers in higher education must be incentivized for undertaking innovations in teaching and learning approaches.
- To promote innovations the resource grant may be needed before the innovations and sometimes the innovations after their success may be recognized and awarded.
- Thus the proposed scheme will encourage innovations in higher education.
- Promotion of excellence by recognizing and rewarding innovations by teachers.
- The program will encourage innovations by the teachers throughout the higher education community. The women’s colleges, minority colleges, rural colleges’ teachers efforts need the recognition at the institutional and the state level.
1. To promote innovations including in teaching and learning through the resource grant to the teachers.
2. To recognize and identify talent among the teachers and reward the teachers at the institutional, state and national level
Networks for Curricular Renewal and Reforms
The core of education is the content which has to be transacted by the teacher to the learners. This domain knowledge is continuously growing and evolving in all the disciplines through research. This growth has to be factored in to realign the frontiers of knowledge.
- To develop teachers who are able to enhance their potentials and push the frontiers of knowledge through research, networking and sharing on disciplines and subjects for global advantage
- To strengthen the resource base for the teachers in higher education
- To develop an electronic network for the teachers and researchers in higher education.
- To create a database for all subjects in higher education
- To assemble all support material in electronic form for onward use
- To disseminate updated subject wise material to the professionals.
- Create a website and other appropriate tools to support information exchange and dissemination;
- Provide full information about the network’s events and activities;
- To analyze the comparative teaching methods and experiment with new teaching methods;
- Help the members of the network on problems related to subjects and towards finding common solutions;
- Promote synergy between undergraduate teaching and post graduate teaching and institutions
National Resource Centre for Education /Higher Education Academy
- The upward mobility of faculty in higher education across nation depends on the academic resources made available to them.
- It will be an electronic depository and will provide a framework for coordination and convergence of all academic resources.
- To develop teachers who are able to enhance their potentials and push the frontiers of knowledge through research, networking and sharing of existing resources in the competitive knowledge world.
- To strengthen the resource base for the teachers in higher education
- To build the pool of teachers with UID available for higher education.
- To create a database for all teachers in higher education
- To organize workshops, seminars and short term courses in higher education
Centres of Academic Leadership and Education Management
- It is emergent therefore that academic leaders be oriented to the critical tasks they are to perform, and made aware of the responsibilities their roles entail, as also the internal and external challenges they need to handle while on the job.
- The teacher education institutions, such as, DIETs, SCERTs are the important institutions of in service training of educational practitioners.
- To develop educational managers who are able to coordinate the efforts of all stakeholders in order to improve effectiveness of an organization.
- The Mission is to set up institutions of national repute and standards, for leadership development suited to school and higher education institutions.
- To provide entry-level (pre-service) orientation training with a focus on requisite functional proficiency and attitude orientation
- To create a pool of academic managers in school education
Expected Questions CBSE NET Jan 2017 Paper 1: Higher Education
Dr. Manishika Jain explains the what to expect for 2017 Paper 1 - higher education. Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan
- Published on: December 29, 2016