UGC Geography June 2014 Paper 2 Solved paper with Explanation Part 4 of 5 [ CBSE NET-JRF Updates ]
In this section we will provide the detailed answers and explanations for the UGC Geography Paper 2 for June 2014 - Part 4 of 5. For detailed explanations visit the Examrace channel at Youtube. Exaamrace under UGC Flexiprep program also provides online classes, postal courses and ebooks. The postal courses are available at the following link.
31. Japan is one of the leading Industrial countries in the world because it has
1. Developed hydel power
2. Large deposits of metallic minerals
3. High level of technological capability
4. Insular location
Which of these statements are correct?
(A) 1,2,3 and 4 (B) 1,2 and 3
(C) 1 and 3 (D) 2 and 4
Japan has developed as one of the leading industrialized nations mainly because of hydel power development and high level of technological capability.
32. Given below are two statements, one labelled as Assertion (A) and the other labelled as Reason (R):
Assertion (A) : With the development of H.Y.V. rubber trees and later synthetic rubber, the rubber of the Amazon basin has become a little more than memory.
Reason (R) : Resources are created and destroyed by human culture.
(A) is wrong, but (R) is correct.
In the context of the above two statements, which of the following is correct?
Both (A) and (R) are correct and (R) explains (A).
Both (A) and (R) are wrong.
(A) is correct, but (R) is wrong.
Assertion is correct but reason is not correct. Definitely due to synthetic rubber replacing the natural rubber, it’s no more Amazon basin for rubbers and most of it is produced artificially.
33. Which one of the following culture realms is characterized by (i) heritage of ancient civilization and traditions of classical culture (ii) rise of ancient city- states; and (iii) importance of agriculture and horticulture including viticulture?
(A) East European
In this question the only clue word is viticulture (wine making) which is native to Mediterranean society.
34. The paradoxical situation of coexistence of patrilineal society and dominant position of women characterize
a) Khasi tribe
b) Bhil tribe
c) Gond tribe
d) Tharu tribe
Tharu tribe is one where women enjoy great living standards along with patrilineal society and both coexist nicely.
35. Geography of public policy is concerned with geographical study of
1. Creation and implementation of public policies.
2. Implementation and monitoring of public policies.
3. Creation and evaluation of public policies.
4. Evaluation of public policies.
(A) 1 and 2 are correct.
(B) 2 and 3 are correct.
(C) 2 and 4 are correct.
(D) 1 and 3 are correct.
Geography of public policy deals with creation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of public policies.
36. Which one of the following languages belong to the Semito Hamitic linguistic family?
(A) Gondi (B) Hebrew
(C) Spanish (D) Dutch
Afroasiatic (Afro-Asiatic), also known as Afrasian and traditionally Hamito-Semitic (Chamito-Semitic),is a large language family, of several hundred related languages and dialects and includes Arabic, Berber, Hebrew, Oromo and Amharic.
37. The statement that “Who rules East Europe, commands the Heartland who rules the Heartland, commands the world Island” was made by
(A) Mackinder (B) Spykman
(C) Alfred Mahan (D) Whittlesey
Mackinder gave the concept that “Who rules East Europe, commands the Heartland who rules the Heartland, commands the world Island”.
38. The entire planning technique in India had been based on the model prepared by
(A) P.C. Mahalanobis
(D) V.M. Dandekar
Prof. Mahalanobis set up an Operation Research Model that stands as the center of India’s Planning frame. It was initially a guidance to second Five Year Plan that emphasized on heavy industries. But slowly turned out to be a guiding system in our planning mechanism.
39. Regional development is a
(A) Single function approach
(B) Multifunctional approach
(C) Place prosperity
(d) Rationalization of population distribution
Regional development is a multifunctional approach. The other option is people place prosperity and not place prosperity.
40. According to Hufschmidt, bring out the chronological sequence in the main phases of development of Regional planning in the last 100 years of its history.
i. Culture Regionalism Orientation
ii. Metropolitan Orientation
iii. Natural Resource Orientation
IV. Regional Science Orientation
(A) 3, 2, 4, 1
(B) 1, 3,4, 2
(C) 4, 1, 3, 2
(D) 3, 1, 4, 2
The correct order should be natural resource orientation, followed by cultural regionalism (1890-1940), then regional science approach (started in late 1940s) and finally metropolitan orientation.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 11, 2014