4th Student's Global Aptitude Index (SGAI): 2013 − 14
The Secondary stage becomes the most defining phase in the school spectrum as it influences higher studies and career
choices later in life. More often than not, it is seen that the academic choice is determined by the marks as also by the
parental/peer pressure or the role models. In an ideal situation a child should be allowed to choose subjects based on his
aptitude and interest Aptitude Test:
The aptitude reflects the inherent capacity, or talent of a child. Aptitude testing is a student friendly, universally accepted mode of rating capabilities for a particular activity. Aptitude tests are known to be reliable predictors of future scholastic achievements as they provide a profile of the strengths and weaknesses of a student.
CBSE Students Global Aptitude Index (SGAI):
CBSE has developed an indigenous assessment tool called Students Global Aptitude Index (SGAI) in 2011 which is first of its kind in the country. CBSE-SGAI emphasizes upon the fact that each individual is unique.
Salient features of Students Global Aptitude Index (SGAI) are as follows:
- SGAI is an assessment designed with the purpose of empowering adolescents with “Self-Knowledge” in terms of the Aptitude, Interest and Motivation.
- This is an Optional Assessment for students and schools for class X Students.
- CBSE SGAI attempts to indicate academic choices at + 2 level.
- It has been customized to suit the Indian context and variety of student population in CBSE affiliated Private, Government and Aided Schools.
- CBSE-SGAI is not an examination.
- It should be taken only as an indicator or a facilitator.
- It is a simple paper and pencil test.
- There is no negative marking, pass or fail.
- No syllabus and special preparation is required for CBSE-SGAI.
- Mental preparedness and sincere responses are the only pre-requisites for this test.
- SGAI scores may depend upon child's environment stimulus and motivation level.
- The purpose of CBSE SGAI is to help the larger population including parents, teachers and students to initiate a dialogue on subject choices that lead to effective career planning later in life.
- Final decision on the subject choices may however be taken in consultation with teachers and parents.
Started in the year 2011, more than 4, 00, 000 students have so far opted for CBSE-SGAI in the last three years
worldwide. Among the other valuable feedbacks received from schools, parents, and students, the need for such an
assessment has also been highlighted.
CBSE SGAI for Himachal Pradesh Board also:
It is a matter of great satisfaction that within one year of inception of SGAI, the CBSE was approached by Himachal
Pradesh Board of Higher Education to conduct SGAI-2012 for its secondary school students in 12 districts of Himachal
Advocacy Material and Orientation:
The Board has specially designed Activities Manual for Teachers to be conducted with students and parents for sensitization and climate building. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) have also been designed for facilitation of public.
This material is accessible on CBSE website
Registration for the fourth edition of CBSE Students Global Aptitude Index (SGAI) 2013 − 14:
The fourth edition of CBSE SGAI will be tentatively held in November 2013. Those who wish to appear for CBSE Students
Global Aptitude Index (SGAI) 2013 − 14 may opt for the same along with Online List of Candidates (LOC) for Academic Session 2013 − 14 by paying Rs. 100/-per candidate. The details of candidates desirous to appear for SGAI will have to be provided by the schools by 15th Oct 2013.
Unlike previous years, separate Notification shall not be issued for SGAI 2013 − 14 Registration this year.
Assessment of CBSE SGAI 2013 − 14 by the Board:
The assessment and interpretation of scores will be done by the Board under the supervision of an expert panel. Schools are expected to send the answer sheets immediately after the conduct of SGAI to Smt. Rama Sharma PRO & Project Director (SGAI)
Central Board of Secondary Education Shiksha Kendra, 2, Community Centre, Preet Vihar, Delhi-110092 The Board will issue school wise Report cards to individual students after analysis and interpretation. The objective and target of the Board is to complete the assessment by December 2013.