Preservation & Conservation of Aravalli Ranges
“You sow a thought, you reap an action. You sow an action, you reap a habit. You sow a habit, you reap a character. You sow a character, you reap the destiny.”
It all starts with a ‘thought’ Call it the fantasies of childhood or zeal of an adolescent it all starts with a thought. A thought inbuilt in minds of people not only Rajasthan, not only of India but of world-i.e., to preserve & conserve the Aravalli Ranges-one of the oldest surviving mountain ranges of the world. World considerations & help with this regards is no doubt innumerous. Japan is one of the leading countries to fund in ‘Aravalli Afforestation Project’ (AAP).
Aravalli Ranges run through the states of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab & Haryana from south west direction to North East & has an area of nearly 150, 000 hectares.
Due to human interventions in its processing by deforestation. Overgrazing of cattles, large scale exploitative mining has led to erosion of soil cover, loss of vegetal cover, lack of rainfall & related environmental problems & hazards.
In view of the problems & methodological difficulties in evolving a successful means of conservation & preservation the following steps needs to be implemented in for the cause:
- Needs for conservation & preservation
- To supplement food & fodder for regional demand
- To increase macro scale sufficiency rate
- To improve the hydrological balance
- Conservation of genetic resource & improve biodiversity
- Sustainability-To break cycle of poverty & environmental destruction
- Prevent desertification of are by Thar Desert expanding to East.
- Improve the socio-economic conditions of the people
- Rehabilitate public function of forests.
Methods adopted for conservation & Preservation:
- Community forestry: As an effort to prevent desertification, improve to promote forestry.
- People's participation in protection, regulation & management of degraded area with a motto ‘Jal, Jungle Aur Zamin’
- Joint Forestry Management to be adopted as a part of AAP along with world collaborations by providing additional food ration as labour wages & Financing agency from & for non-agricultural forest related activities.
- Special help & participation by NGO's [Non-governmental organizations] to promote regional development.
- Trees Species Selection: Selection of particular Species of trees which grows at a faster rate, require less water can last of much adverse conditions & which are less affected by mining activities eg. Marble slurry is a major problem & concern in S. Rajathan whereby all the area infested by slurry goes barren.
- An recent act to ban mining in Aravallis was given so as to protect the ecoregion but this is not a permanent solution & will also lead to large Scale unemployment. Instead, Rules should be framed for planting of trees by each mine owner in an specified area of few hectares in nearby place & tack care off it. Again a specific area should be reserved for fauna's to survive.
- Besides these all mines should be given a ‘tolerance limit’ for exploitation of resources, if the mine goes beyond it, it should be banned.
Cycle to follow up method of preservation & Conservation:
Entitlement of use of resources at local level are sensitive issues that have to be reflected in administrative matters of development. To decide upon resource distribution is to demonstrate legitimate political power & enact local professional competence by extension of technical question of afforestation. Also it needs to show that how NGO's become an element in regional, social & political fabric.
“Small minds discuss people. Medium minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas”
Hence, it is high time now which needs the contributions of great minds to discuss ideas to rule off this problem which is becoming a threat to the biodiversity of this area. This can only be achieved by the concept of 3R'p i.e. “RESEARCH, REFORMS & REVOLUTION”