CBSE Board Exam: Political Science Study Material Part 5
Part v: The Union
Chapter 1-the Executive
- 52 The President of India.
- 53 Executive power of the Union.
- 54 Election of President.
- 55 Manner of election of President.
- 56 Term of office of President.
- 57 Eligibility for re-election.
- 58 Qualifications for election as President.
- 59 Conditions of President's office.
- 60 Oath or affirmation by the President.
- 61 Procedure for impeachment of the President.
- 62 Time of holding election to fill vacancy in the office of President and the term of office of person elected to fill casual vacancy.
- 71 Matters relating to, or connected with, the election of a President or Vice-President.
- 72 Power of President to grant pardons, etc. and to suspend, remit or commute sentences in certain cases.
- 73 Extent of executive power of the Union.
Qualifications for the Election to the Office of the President (Article 58)
He must be a citizen of India.
He must have completed the age of 35 years.
He must be qualified to be a member of the Lok Sabha.
He must not hold any office of profit under the Government of India or the Government of any State or under any local or other authority.
Cannot Be Disqualified
However, the following persons are not deemed to be holding any office of profit and hence they cannot be disqualified for election as the President.
A sitting President or Vice-President of India.
Governor of any State.
A Minister of the Union or of any State.