CLAT Frequently Asked Questions
Below mentioned is the list of few questions most generally enquired by the candidates and we have published them along with the relevant answers.
Hope this will help you to find out the answers of the question you might have in your minds.
What is CLAT?
- The common Law Admission Test i.e.. CLAT is an all India entrance examination organised by fourteen National Law Universities pertaining to the admissions in under-graduate and post-graduate degree programmes (LLB & LLM).
With CLAT can I apply for admission to all National Law Universities in India?
- No. With CLAT you can apply only to the fourteen participating National Law Universities i.e.. National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU), NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR), The National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU), The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS), National Law University, Jodhpur (NLU), Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU), Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU), Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU), Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL), Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU), National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS), National Law University, Orissa (NLUO), National University of Study & Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL) and National Law University & Judicial Academy, Assam (NLSJA)
Where can I obtain a CLAT Information Brochure?
- Candidates can avail the CLAT Information Brochure from any of the fourteen participating universities or from different State Bank of India branches from all over the country. Find out the Prospectus distribution center section available on the internet website Website for State Bank of India where from CLAT Information Brochure can be availed.
What is the cost of CLAT Information Brochure?
- CLAT Information Brochure would cost around Rs. 3000/-and Rs. 2500/- (for SC/ST/PWD).
Do I also need to purchase brochure of participating universities separately?
- Information regarding all the participating universities will be covered in the CLAT Information Brochure.
Where do I get the application form?
- The application form for CLAT 2012 is sold with the CLAT Information Brochure.
Is the examination pattern for CLAT 2012 different from the earlier editions?
- CLAT 2012 has reframed the syllabus a little bit. Please go through the CLAT Information Brochure for more details regarding the pattern of examination paper and weightage of different subject areas.
What is the minimum eligibility for taking CLAT 2012?
- For the under-graduate (LLB) programme-To be eligible to appear for CLAT-2012, a candidate must have to passed his or her Higher Secondary School/Intermediate Examination (10 + 2) or similar kind of examination with above 50% marks in total aggregate (However, 45% in case of SC/ST/OBC and persons with Disability) *. Candidate's age must not be more than 20 years in case of General/OBC candidates (22 years in case of SC/ST and PWD) * as on 1st July, 2012.
- For the post-graduate (LLM) programme-To be eligible to appear for CLAT-2012, a candidate must have to attained a LLB/B. L. Degree or a similar kind of degree from a well accredited University with more than 55% marks in total aggregate (50% in case of SC/ST/OBC and PWD) *. Please note that no age constraint is there in the case of applying for post-graduate programme.
Where can I find more details pertaining to the courses provided by various National Law Universities?
- Information on details of intake, reservation, courses those are being provided along with the fee structure and other crucial details can be avail from the CLAT Information Brochure 2012, CLAT website and website of respective University.
Are foreign nationals need to give CLAT 2012 for admission to any of the National Law Universities?
- Foreign nationals are not allowed to appear for CLAT-2012. Those students who are very keen for taking admission in course in any of the participating Law Universities may directly contact the respective University having seats for foreign nationals.
- Also note that if you are a foreign national and hold either a PIO or OCI card, you would have parity with NRIs in educational fields. Please see OCI-chart for further details.
What is domicile?
- The domicile certificate of the candidate will be needed to claim an admission under the domicile or state reservation of the respective state law universities. Domicile can be availed by birth and this may be proved through birth or residential certificate issued by competent authority.
- Candidates who belong to “Other” in domicile category need not to submit any certificate.
- Please see Indian Government document for further details.
How can I get past years CLAT question papers?
- The past four years CLAT question papers will be available at all the 14 National Law Universities on payment of Rs. 100/- (Rs. One Hundred Only). The question papers can also be availed by post from National Law University, Jodhpur. Candidates must enclose a demand draft of Rs. 150/- (Rs. One Hundred Fifty Only) in favour of “National Law University, Jodhpur CLAT A/C” payable at Jodhpur (Rajasthan). Application requesting the question paper should be send to The Convenor, Common Law Admission Test, CLAT 2012, National Law University, Jodhpur, NH-65, Nagour Road, Mandore, Jodhpur-342304 (Rajasthan). The application can be made on a plain piece of paper and should include the desirable information namely-Name, Complete Postal Address consisting pincode, Contact Number (Landline and Mobile) and Email id.
Would there be any negative marking for CLAT 2012?
- No, Negative marking does not prevail in CLAT 2012.
- Is there any particular proforma to send request for an application form to CLAT Convenor or just a simple application in writing would suffice?
- However, No proforma is there for the application requesting CLAT Information Brochure 2012. The request can be made on a plain piece of paper. But the application must be send to-
- The Convenor
- Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) -2012
- National Law University, Jodhpur
- NH-65, Nagour Road, Mandore
- Jodhpur 342 304 (Rajasthan)
- Following information would be mentioned-Name, Complete Postal Address including pincode, Contact Number (Landline and Mobile) and Email id.
Do I have to separately purchase Application Form?
- No. The CLAT Information Brochure 2012 would include the CLAT Application Form.
- CLAT Brochure mentions ‘Senior Secondary School/Intermediate Examination (10 + 2) or its equivalent examination’ as a eligibility criteria. What are these qualifying examination?
- There are various educational qualifications/system which are accredited by the Government of India similar to to ‘Senior Secondary School/Intermediate Examination (10 + 2)’ For more details visit the link Education India
Regarding the category of sons or daughters of defence personnel deployed in UP or defence personnel of UP either retired or killed or disabled in action, does defence personnel include personnel belonging to Paramilitary Forces?
- No, paramilitary forces does not belong to the category of Defence Personnel.