11 October: International Day of Girl Child [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
Every year 11th October is being observed as International Day of the Girl Child (IDGC). It was fourth edition of this day after it was observed for first time in 2012. Significance of Day: To recognize - girls’ rights unique challenges girls face around the world. It increases awareness of gender inequality faced by girls.
- Supports more opportunity for girls.
- This year’s theme was on teenage girls and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) to be achieved by 2030. The theme also highlights
- weak demographic of adolescent girls, social, economic and political barriers.
- It has set 17 international targets that includes gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls.
- It was observed in 2012 with theme ‘Ending child marriage’.
The theme of IDGC in 2013 and 2014 was:
- Innovating for girl’s education
- Empowering Adolescent Girls
- Ending the Cycle of Violence
- Published on: October 12, 2015