112 is Declared as the Single Emergency Number by Telecom Commission [ Current News (Concise) ]
112 is accepted as the single emergency number for India, similar to 911 of United States (US) and 999 of United Kingdom (UK) by Telecom Commission. From this time Indian citizens in distress are able to get all emergency services by just dialing this single-number such as
- fire department
- Ambulance etc.
This number will transfer the call to concerned departments instantly for help.
- The service is also available for landlines and mobile connections even if its outgoing call facility has been temporarily postponed or stopped.
- Person who is in any trouble are able to make emergency communication even through SMS.
- Through this emergency system the location of caller or message sender will be directly shared with the nearest help centre.
- The service will be operated by a call centre like facility.
- The service representatives will communicate in English, Hindi and the local language.
Different Indian states have notified various emergency helpline numbers for assistance to special categories of citizens at the current time such as:
- police (100)
- ambulance (102)
- fire brigade (101)
- Emergency Disaster Management (108)
And this 112 becomes single emergency number in the place of all existing emergency numbers.
- Published on: March 30, 2016