11th Meta Lifetime Achievement Award Will Be Honored to Theatre Guru Ratan Thiyam [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
The Prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award for 2016 will be honored to Expert playwright and director Ratan Thiyam at the Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards (META). He is selected for his work in creating a new language in theatre and enriching the art form in various roles as director, writer, composer, designer and choreographer.
About Ratan Thiyam:
- He was born on 20th January 1948 at Manipur.
- He was the leading person in 1970s movement of Indian theater.
- And he has started his career in theater from1976.
- Ratan Thiyam is Chairman of National School of Drama.
- He has also served as Vice-chairman of Sangeet Natak Akademi.
- From 1987 to 1989 he has worked as Director of National School of Drama.
List of Popular Plays of Ratan Thiyam
- Karanabharam (1979)
- Imphal (1982)
- Chakravyuha (1984)
- Lengshonnei (1986)
- Andha Yug
- Ashibagee Eshei (2008)
- The King of Dark Chamber (Raja, 2012)
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1987
- Padma Shri in 1989
- Kalidas Samman in 2005
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship in 2012
- Bhupen Hazarika Foundation Award in 2013
About Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards (META)
It was founded in the year 2006 by the Mahindra Group and Teamwork Arts Pvt Ltd.
It is one of the biggest theatre festivals in the country.
It provide platform to those who wants to showcase their excellence in the art form on one stage.
Earlier recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award are:
- Zohra Sehgal
- Badal Sarkar
- Ebrahim Alkazi
- Khaled Chowdhury
- Girish Karnad
- Published on: March 4, 2016