13th UN Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice held in Doha [ Current News (Concise) ]
The 13th UN Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice was recently held from 12 April 2015 to 19 April 2015 at Qatar National Convention Centre in Doha, Qatar by Doha Declaration. Doha Declaration aims at preventing crime to build Sustainable development into the wider United Nations (UN) agenda to address social and economic challenges and to promote the rule of law at the national and international levels, and public participation.
- The 60th anniversary of the Crime Congress coincided with Doha Congress 2015. The summit was attended by a large group of policymakers, academicians working in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice.
- During the conference, delegates pledged action to promote justice for all, underline link between rule of law, sustainable development and by adopting a statement to that effect participants committed themselves to integrating crime prevention and criminal justice into the wider UN agenda.
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki moon said that there is no peace without development, no development without peace and there is no lasting peace or sustainable without respect for human rights and the rule of law.
- In 1955, the first Congress was held in Geneva, Switzerland while the 12th Congress was held in Salvador, Brazil in 2010.The UN conference on crime control is held at every five-year gap.
- Published on: April 22, 2015