19th SAARC Summit Hosting by Pakistan in Islamabad [ Current News (Concise) ]
19th South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Summit meeting of the head of states or head of government of the eight SAARC countries will be kicked off in Islamabad a capital city and Murree of Pakistan on 9th and 10th November 2016 and nine observers of SAARC also invited to attend the Summit.
- Previously the 18th edition of SAARC Summit was held in Kathmandu, Nepal in November 2014 and its theme was “Deeper Integration for Peace and Prosperity”.
- The main aim of this summit is to take steps for enhancing member states connectivity for easier transit-transport between them.
About the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC):
- The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is regional diplomatic organization and geopolitical union in South Asia.
- Its member states are:
- Afghanistan (joined in 2007)
- The Maldives
- Sri Lanka
- SAARC includes 3 % of the world’s area, 21 % of the world’s population and 9.12 % of the global economy, as of 2015.
- Nine observer states:
- European Union
- South Korea
- United States
- Previously Ziaur Rahman former President of Bangladesh has recommended idea for the SAARC on May 2, 1980.
- The first edition of the summit was organized in 1981 and which was attended by seven founding countries in Dhaka (Bangladesh).
- The Secretariat of SAARC was established in Kathmandu (Nepal) on 16 January 1987.
- Published on: August 30, 2016