2015-2016 Bhimsen Joshi Award Has Been Honored to Sarangi Expert Ram Narayan [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
The prestigious Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award for year 2015 - 2016 has been honored to Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan (88). Pandit Ram Narayan is first internationally successful sarangi player. He is solo promoter of musical instrument as a single concert instrument in Hindustani classical music.
About Pandit Ram Narayan
- Pandit Ram Narayan was born on 25 December 1927 in Udaipur, Mewar British India province.
- He is the first International Successful Sarangi Player.
- Since his childhood he was playing the sarangi and over the years acquired global acclaim for his music.
- He also had given his performances on All India Radio in Delhi and also in many other countries.
- He also has trained hundreds of Indian and foreign students.
- He was awared with Padma Vibhushan (2005).
About Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award:
- The Maharashtra government has founded this awared in the memory of vocalist Bhimsen Joshi.
- It is honored to persons who have excelled in classical vocal or instrumental music.
- A committee of top music artistes and exponents jointly select the person for this awared.
- The award includes 5 lakh rupees in cash, a trophy and a citation.
Sarangi: “It is a bowed, short-necked string instrument from India which is used in Hindustani classical music. ”
- Published on: February 8, 2016