2015 GD Birla Award Honored to Sanjay Mittal IIT-Kanpur Professor [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
The twenty-fifth GD Birla Award for Scientific Research for the year 2015 is honored to the Sanjay Mittal professor at the Department of Aerospace Engineering in the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur for his important contributions in the area of Mechanics.
About Sanjay Mittal
- He was involved in founding the High Performance Computing (HPC) facility at IIT Kanpur.
- He also had served as head of the National Wind Tunnel Facility.
- His most important contribution has been in the zone of Bluff Body Flows (flows past blunt bodies associated with large unsteady separation and leading to large fluid forces).
- He belongs to very few researchers in India who have functioned on and used Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for fluid flows.
- He also has served in sports aerodynamics area.
- His team was capable to carry out the aerodynamic difference between a synthetic shuttle raise and duck-feather.
About GD Birla Award
- It is an annual scientific award honored to Indian scientist who has age below 50 years, alive and working in India for their exceptional scientific research, mostly based on past 5 years.
- It is awarded to Indian scientist in any branch of science and technology including medical science, basic as well as applied.
- It was recognized in 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation to give tribute to philanthropist Ghanshyam Das Birla.
- The award includes 2.5 lakh rupees cash prize and a citation.
- The recipient is decided by a board comprising eminent scientists.
- Published on: June 24, 2016