2016 Asian Nations Cup Chess Tournament Has Been Won by India [ Current News (Concise) - Sports ]
The 2016 Asian Nations Cup Chess tournament has been won by Indian men by beating Vietnam in the final round with 3 - 1 score played in Abu Dhabi. Indian Grandmasters S P Sethuraman and K Sasikiran won on the 2nd and 4th boards and B Adhiban and Vidit Santosh Gujrathi won matches on top and 3rd boards in the final round of match.
- India gets 17 points with this win, two more than World and Olympiad champions China.
- With this win India has created Mongolia and beat the rest of the teams in a 22-team tournament.
- It was overall third time, Indian men has won the event for the third time and previously they had won at:
- Esfahan and Iran in 2005
- Kolkata in 2009
- In the women’s section:
- China won the title with 15 points
- Uzbekistan at second place with 14 points
- Kazakhstan at third place with 13 points
- Indian women secured fourth position with 12 points
About Asian Chess Championship:
- The Asian Chess Championship is open chess tournament for all Asian chess federations’ players.
- It’s held with the Swiss system and consists in two divisions, Open and Women’s
- And the Asian champions are determined by both the sections and qualify a certain number of players for the Chess World Cup and knockout Women’s World Chess Championship respectively.
- Published/Last Modified on: April 7, 2016