2016 Champions Trophy Title of Hockey Has Been Won by Australia [ Current News (Concise) ]
The 2016 Champions Trophy title of Hockey has been won by the Australia by beating India with 3 - 1 score at the final match played at London (United Kingdom), both teams in regulation period failed to score goals.
- With this victory a history is created by the Australia for winning the title for record 14 times.
- However in the penalty shootout Australia achieved to defeated India by scoring 3 goals to 1 goal which were scored by Aran Zalewski, Daniel Beale and Simon Orchard from Australian team and Harmanpreet Singh has scored single goal from India.
- And with this India got the silver medal.
About Champions Trophy Hockey Title
- The title is an international field hockey tournament which is organized by the International Hockey Federation.
- In 1978 it was established by Pakistan’s Air Marshal Nur Khan and the Pakistan Hockey Federation.
- Previously the tournament was organized annually and since 2014 it has become a two-yearly event, due to the introduction of the Hockey World League.
- This tournament structures the world’s top-ranked field hockey team’s championship in a round robin format.
- The Australians have won the trophy 14 times followed Germany 10 times and the Netherlands 8 times, Pakistan 3 times in the men’s tournament.
- Published on: June 20, 2016