2016 Copa America Football Tournament Won by Chile [ Current News (Concise) - Sports ]
The 2016 Copa America Football tournament has been won by the Defending champion Chile by beating Argentina in a penalty shootout at the finals played at MetLife Stadium, New Jersey (US) with 4 - 2 goals in the penalty shootout due to both teams failed to score goal in the regulation period.
- With this Chile has won second Copa America title after winning it for the first title in 2015 by beating Argentina.
- Since 1947 Chile became the first team to win the title back to back.
- Golden Boot: Eduardo Vargas from Chile.
- Golden Ball: Alexis Sanchez from Chile.
- Golden Glove award: Claudio Bravo from Chile.
About Copa America Football title
- The Copa America or America Cup in Spanish and Portuguese title is an international football competition.
- It is organized between the men’s national football teams of South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).
- Asia and North America teams are also participating for it since the 1990s.
- It is the oldest international continental football competition which was established in 1916.
- In 1993 the present tournament format was modernized which includes 12 teams.
- Over a period of one month these teams contest at venues in a host nation.
- Published on: June 28, 2016