2016 Global Teacher Prize Has Been Won by the Palestinian Hanan Al Hroub [ Current News (Concise) ]
The prestigious one million dollar 2016 Global Teacher Prize has been awarded to the Palestinian teacher Hanan Al Hroub from a refugee camp. She was honored with the award at a ceremony held in Dubai for her outstanding contribution to the profession. She has beaten other nine including India’s Robin Chaurasiya, who runs a not-for-profit school in Mumbai for girls from the city’s red light district of Kamatipura.
About Hanan Al Hroub
- She is serving as teacher at the Samiha Khalil High School in Al-Bireh, Palestine.
- To overcome tense environments of the region under the shadow of the Israel-Palestine conflict she uses a specialist approach in her school.
- And her approach has helped a lot to decline violent behaviour in schools where it was a frequent occurrence.
- She has described all this in detail in her book ‘We Play and Learn’.
- Her colleagues are also inspired from her to review the way they teach and their classroom management strategies.
About Global Teacher Prize
- The Global Teacher Prize was founded in 2014 by Sunny Varkey, Kerala-born entrepreneur and educational philanthropist.
- Every year it identifies one excellent teacher who has made an outstanding involvement to the profession.
- It is also based on significant role played by teachers in the society.
- Published/Last Modified on: March 15, 2016