2016 Italian Open Title Won by Andy Murray [ Current News (Concise) ]
The 2016 Italian Open title of Tennis in the men’s singles category has been won by World’s number 3 tennis player Andy Murray from Britain at the finals played in Rome by beating Novak Djokovic (World No. 1) for the first time on the clay court with 6 - 3, 6 - 3 score It was Murray’s first Italian Open title.
- With this Andy Murray becomes second British male tennis player to win Italian Open title after George Patrick Hughes who had won it in 1931.
- Since Virginia Wade who had won the title in 1971 he is the first British singles champion in Italy.
- Women’s Single Title:
- The 2016 Italian Open title of Tennis in the women’s singles category has been won by the Serena Williams (World No 1) from United States at the finals by beating Madison Keys with 7 - 6, 6 - 3 score.
- With this she won fourth Italian Open title after she won in 2002, 2013 and 2014.
- Women’s Doubles Title
- The 2016 Italian Open title in the Women’s Doubles category has been won by India’s Sania Mirza and her Swiss partner Martina Hingis (World No. 1 pair) at the finals by beating the 7th seeded Russian pair of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina with 6 - 1, 6 - 7, 10 - 3 score.
- Men’s doubles Title
- The the2016 Italian Open title in the men’s Doubles category has been won by Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan pair from United States at the finals by beating pair of Vasek Pospisil (Canada) and Jack Sock (United States) with 2–6, 6–3, [10–7] score.
About Italian Open
- The Italian Open is an annual tennis tournament held in Rome, Italy.
- It is also recognized as the Rome Masters and the Italian Championships.
- It is organized at clay courts, currently held throughout the second week of May and is second most respected red clay tennis tournaments in the world after the French Open.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 16, 2016