2016 Philippines Presidential Election Has Been Won by Rodrigo Duterte [ Current News (Concise) ]
The 2016 presidential election of the Philippines has been won by Anti-crime applicant and mayor of Davao City, Rodrigo Duterte with a landslide victory and with this victory he becomes 16th President-elect of Philippines.
- On 9th May 2016 the Presidential selection was held and Rodrigo Duterte protected 39% (15.36 million) of the votes followed by Mar Roxas 23% (9.27 million) votes and his closest rival Grace Poe with 22% (8.6 million) votes.
About Rodrigo Duterte
- He was born on 28th March 1945 at Maasin, Leyte into a political family with a modest background.
- He is lawyer by profession.
- He joined politics in 1986 when he becomes vice-mayor of Davao and mayor in 1988.
- He was the longest-serving mayors in the Philippines and has been mayor of Davao City for seven terms, count more than 22 years.
- He had also held a seat in Philippines congress representing Davao City earlier.
- He had played important role in reducing crime rates in the Davao City during his period as a mayor of Davao.
- For his successful zero tolerance policies against criminals work he got the pet name The Punisher among the citizens.
- He was nicknamed as Dirty Harry and often was compared to the US presidential candidate Donald Trump during the Presidential elections.
- Published on: May 12, 2016