2016 Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament Has Been Won by the Australia [ Current News (Concise) - Sports ]
The 25th edition of Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament 2016 has been won by Australia for record ninth time at the finals played at Ipoh, by beating India with 4 - 0 goals. With this India firm at the second position and New Zealand (defending champion) at the third position.
- This was the second time India had completed with the silver medal in seven final appearances.
- Australia had won the Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament in 1983, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2013 and 2014 previously.
- Australia grip record of most titles win of this tournament.
- Final Rankings:
- Australia at 1st position
- India at 2nd
- New Zealand at 3rd
- Malaysia at 4th
- Pakistan at 5th
- Canada at 6th
- Japan at 7th
About Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament:
- Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament is a yearly international men’s field hockey tournament held in Malaysia.
- It was named after 9th king of Malaysia and ‘Father of Malaysian Hockey’ Sultan Azlan Shah.
- Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament was started in 1983 as biennial sporting event.
After 1998 it was changed into an annual event, following its growth and popularity.
- Published/Last Modified on: April 18, 2016