23rd IIT Inaugurated in Dharwad [ Current News (Concise) - Education ]
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Dharwad inaugurated by the Union Human Resource Minister Prakash Javadekar in Karnataka at the temporary campus in Water and Land Management Institute (WALMI) at Belur village near Dharwad city.
- For the inauguration program around 1000 students from Maths and Science backgrounds are invited to be aware about IIT.
- The Inauguration ceremony was executed in traditional way with folk dance (Kunita, hejje mela, karadi Makalu) of north Karnataka.
- Until the permanent campus of IIT-Dharwad is built, it will be function from temporary campus at Walmi centre near the Dharwad.
- IIT- Dharwad starts functioning from this academic year (2016-17) from a temporary structure with 120 student’s batch leading to the degree of Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech.).
- The permanent campus is spread over the sprawling 470 acres which is assigned by the state government at nearby Kelgeri town.
- For the first three year IIT-Bombay will be mentor institute of IIT-Dharwad.
Other IIT starts functioning from 2016 are
- IIT Bhilai (Chhattisgarh)
- IIT Goa (Farmagudi, Goa)
- IIT Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir)
- Published on: August 31, 2016