26th April Celebrated as World Intellectual Property Day [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
World Intellectual Property Day (WIPD) is celebrated on 26th April every year to recognize importance of intellectual property rights of patents, trademarks, industrial designs, copyright etc. to inspire innovation and creativity all over the world.
About World Intellectual Property Day:
- World Intellectual Property Day was established by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in year 2000.
- This day was chosen because on this date Convention Establishing the World Intellectual property Organization came into force in 1970.
About the theme of 2016:
- This year the theme of World Intellectual Property Day was “Digital Creativity: Culture Reimagined“.
- The theme pursues to discover the future of culture in the digital age by knowing the answer of the questions, how we create it, how we access it, how we finance it.
- It also shows the meaning of balanced and flexible intellectual property system to ensure that those working in the creative sectors and artists are being paid appropriately for their work, so that they get motivated and keep creating innovations.
- In remembrance of this day, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) arranges some events and activities together with various government agencies, non-government organizations, community groups, individuals.
- The themes of every year since the celebration of day started:
2001 – Creating the Future Today
2002 – Encouraging Creativity
2003 – Make Intellectual Property Your Business
2004 – Encouraging Creativity
2005 – Think, Imagine, Create
2006 – It Starts With An Idea
2007 – Encouraging Creativity
2008 – Celebrating innovation and promoting respect for intellectual property
2009 – Green Innovation
2010 – Innovation – Linking the World
2011 – Designing the Future
2012 – Visionary Innovators
2013 – Creativity - The Next Generation
2014 – Movies – a Global Passion
2015 – Get Up, Stand Up, For Music.
2016 – Digital Creativity: Culture Reimagined.
- Published/Last Modified on: April 26, 2016