28th January: 150th Birth Anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai [ Current News (Concise) ]
28th January 2016 is 150th birth anniversary of great freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai. He is also known as Punjab Kesri. So in order to celebrate this day Punjab is organizing a state level function and special event will be held at village Dhudike in Moga district at the birth place of Lala Lajpat Rai.
- For memorize Lala Lajpat Rai’s contribution in freedom, State government also has organized many seminars and conventions at many places in Punjab.
About Lala Lajpat Rai
- Born on 28 January 1865 in Dhudike in Moga district, Punjab.
- He was lawyer by profession and had practiced his legal profession but after some time he had joined freedom war of India.
- For his adorable contribution in the freedom movement, he was famously known as Punjab Kesri which mean “The Lion of Punjab: and also known as Sher-E- Punjab in Punjabi.
He was member of LAL BAL PAL trio of self-assured nationalists from 1905 to 1918 which include:
- Lala Lajpat Rai,
- Bal Gangadhar Tilak and,
- Bipin Chandra Pal.
The main aim of LAL BAL PAL trio is to support the Swadeshi movement which involves refusing of all imported items and the use of Indian-made goods in 1907 during the anti-Partition agitation in Bengal began in 1905.
- In 1895 he was associated with the foundation of Punjab National Bank and later Lakshmi Insurance Company.
- In 1888 and 1889 He was a delegate to the annual sessions of Indian National Congress (INC) in 1888 and 1889, and in 1920 he was elected as its President in the Calcutta Special Session.
- He had created a Society named Servants of the People in 1921.
- This is a non-profit welfare organization, in Lahore.
- It is shifted to Delhi after partition, and has branches in many parts of India.
- He has also contributed to found the nationalistic Dayanand Anglo-Vedic School and became a follower of Dayanand Saraswati who is founder of the Arya Samaj.
- The Story of My Deportation in 1908
- Arya Samaj in 1915
- The United States of America: A Hindu’s Impression in 1916
- Unhappy India in 1928
- When he leading a non-violent protest against the Simon Commission police has carried lathi charge and he in this he got serious injuries and died on 17th November 1928.
- Published/Last Modified on: January 28, 2016